Top 10 Theological Books I read in 2013

Yes, 2013 - I was about to post about my favourite books of 2014 when I discovered this sitting in my drafts which I had never posted, and as the point of these lists is to tell people about good books, I thought I'd go ahead and post it before I get to the books of 2014. (By the way, 2014's version will look quite different.)

So, here goes...

I know it’s a bit late for top 10 book lists. I wasn’t going to write one, but then realised how many great books I’d read last year, so wanted the chance to at least mention a few of them. They weren’t all written in 2013 – that just happens to be when I read them. Any list of favourties is, of course, utterly subjective, so each of the books here is on the list for entirely different reasons. And no, of course I don’t agree with them all (lest anyone be perturbed by the fantastic, yet less than conservative evangelical, theologian who makes it quite high on my list).

1. Life in the Trinity (Donald Fairbairn) [Review]

2. Jesus on Every Page (David Murray) [Read this one! – it’s excellent and very easy to read!]

3. Incarnation: The Person and Life of Christ (Thomas F. Torrance)

4. The Theology of Martin Luther (Paul Althaus)

5. One Forever: The Transforming Power of Being in Christ (Rory Shiner) [Review]

6. The Forgotten Father (Thomas Smail)

7. The Bruised Reed (Richard Sibbes)

8. Paul and Union with Christ: An Exegetical and Theological Study (Constantine R. Campbell)

9. The Creedal Imperative (Carl Trueman)

10. Baptism with the Spirit: The Teaching of Martyn Lloyd Jones (Michael A. Eaton)


Honourable mentions go to Reflected Glory (Thomas Smail), Waters of Promise: Finding Meaning in Believer Baptism (Brandon C. Jones), For Us and For Our Salvation (Lee Gatiss), In My Place Condemned He Stood (J.I. Packer and Mark Dever), Richard Sibbes: God’s Spreading Goodness (R.N. Frost), The Holy Trinity: Understanding God’s Life (Stephen R. Holmes) and Pilgrim Theology (Michael Horton).